This is a wonderful opportunity for HS seniors to learn about HBCUs, available financial resources and explore these college campuses. The HBCU Tour is scheduled for February 14th through 20th, 2015. Interested students are required to complete and submit the attached application along with a non-refundable $25.00 application fee, attend an interview session and participate with their parent at the pre- and post-tour workshops.
After the completed application form has been received, applicants will be notified of the date, time and location of their interviews. Your parent or guardian must call to confirm date and time. Please make sure that all of the information on the application is correct. We must be able to contact you, as well as your parent or guardian for notification of interview.
The Official Application Form for the Black College Tour 2015 explains that:
· There is an APPLICATION Process for an interview.
· The results of the interview are used to determine the applicant’s qualifications for participation in the Black College Tour 2015.
· Some of the factors that may determine the applicant’s participation are:
a) Having the potential for admission to a Historically Black College or University as reflected by your academic record in high school;
b) Being involved in extracurricular activities in school
c) Being involved in volunteer work
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
In order to be considered for participation in the BCT 2015, students are expected to:
· Complete all parts of the BCT 2015 Application Form and return it by November 30, 2014.
NOTE: INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED
· Submit a typed or neatly written (black ink) completed application for consideration.
· Come to a Personal Interview with a parent, guardian, or responsible adult relative.
· Submit a Letter of Recommendation from a teacher, counselor, minister, priest, community leader, relative other than your parents or guardian, or another responsible adult.
· Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled interview time.
· Appropriate attire is as follows:
a) Young Men – dress shirt, tie, jacket, dress pants and shoes.
b) Young Women – blouse, pants suit or skirt (to knee) and dress shoes.
*Any applicant not dressed appropriately will be required to re-schedule the interview.
PRE- AND POST-TOUR WORKSHOPS
If you are selected to participate, you and your parent/guardian MUST attend 4 of the 5 Pre-Tour Workshops and one Post-Tour Workshop. All workshops will be held at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, 199 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007, (212) 220-8000. Please note the workshops are scheduled to begin January 10, 2015 and will be held on Saturdays from 12:30 P.M. until 5:00 P.M.
NOTE: The January 17, 2015 Workshop will be held from 9:00am–5:00PM. This workshop is dedicated to applying for all Colleges/Universities we’ll visit on the 2015 Tour. All eligible students are required to apply. This will save time while we are visiting the college campuses.
The workshop dates are as follows: 1/10, 1/17, 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, and 3/14.